Studio BOL's favourite vegan waffle recipe
“Waffles are synonymous with sugar, chocolate and indulgence…but they don’t have to be. Waffles can be healthy, plant-based deliciousness that taste just as tempting as their Belgium counterparts.”
…This the exact pitch given to Founder Paul by two hopeful interns on a mission to fuel the studio with sweet treats. After an extraordinarily convincing speech and many tactical tea rounds later, a shiny new VonChef Waffle machine made its way into the loving home of Studio BOL.
Our beloved banana & cinnamon waffles go down a treat on BOL birthdays, rainy days and in our monthly team meetings. Here’s our go to recipe:
- 1 + 1/4 cup soya or nut milk
- 1/4 cup olive, vegetable, or melted coconut oil
- A heaping 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 1 ripe banana
- A splash of maple syrup
- 1 + 1/2 tsp baking powder
- A sprinkling of ground cinnamon
- A pinch of sea salt
- Toppings of your choice (see below for our favorites!)
- Place all of the ingredients into a nutri-bullet or blende, and whizz up until you have a smooth, thick batter.
- If your batter is looking too pourable (verging on milk) mix in another ½ cup of flour and whizz again. Alternatively, if your batter is resembling cement, add in a good glug of plant-based milk to thin it out (everyone loves their waffles different, after all).
- Lightly grease your waffle machine or waffle iron and allow it to heat.
- Once your waffle pan is sufficiently hot, pour your batter in and spread evenly.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes, until your waffles develop a crisp golden crust and are cooked through.
Waffles are the ideal vehicle for all kinds of toppings (the best bit in my opinion) and some of our favorites include:
- HEAPS of Lotus Biscoff Spread
- Almond butter
- Sliced banana
- Fresh or frozen berries
- Frill Intense Chocolate nice-cream
- Nuts & Seeds
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!